Supporting Teachers With Integrating Financial Education – Grades 4-10
In 2011 the province of Ontario made a commitment to integrate financial education into all new curriculum developed. This led to a significant amount of integration of financial education into a variety of courses.
The Building Futures in Ontario program provides a wide selection of lesson plans for teachers to review, consider, and use as they wish to integrate financial education into a variety of grades and courses.
- Provides an overall “Learning Framework” identifying learning targets over a range of grades and ages and spanning knowledge, skills, and behaviours.
- Provides lesson plans in a variety of subject areas to help teachers integrate financial education into their instruction.
- Supports teacher professional development by improving the confidence and capability of teachers to provide financial instruction.
- Increase the integration of financial education into grades 4-10.
- Help establish a learning foundation in the area of financial education for students to be able to use and apply at senior grades.
- Promote the professional development of teachers in terms of their confidence and ability to teach students about money and financial affairs.
- Increase in financial instruction provided in grades 4-10.
- More students will develop basic financial knowledge and skills at younger grades to apply at more senior grades and in life.
- More teachers are engaged in providing financial education to students.
- More teachers have the confidence and capability to effectively provide financial education to students.